Friday, October 18, 2013

Punch-Drunk Love Was Released 11 Years Ago Today


Eleven years ago today, Paul Thomas Anderson's fourth feature-length motion picture, Punch-Drunk Love, met commercial theatrical exhibition for the very first time. Some weeks back, a reader of ours passed along a small video of PTA at Cannes 2002, accepting his award for Best Director (Thanks Diego). On top of that, now is as good a time as any to review all the Cannes interview footage with PTA circa 2002 from the ol' cigsandvines YouTube channel. Enjoy!




Stay tuned to Twitter and Facebook for the latest news and updates.
"The Master" is now available on Blu-ray and DVD

6 comments:

  1. Paul Touchesfacewhennervous Anderson

    ReplyDelete
  2. Does anyone out there in PT Anderson fandom have any idea why there's such a hold up with the Punch Drunk Love bluray? Paul said last year it would be out this year. I've got a four-pack of butterscotch Jell-O pudding in my fridge right now just waiting to be consumed while I watch PDL in high-def. I'm thinking because Columbia/Sony helped finance it, Sony has postponed the release to make it a 4K title to help maximize the colorful optics. That's my conclusion.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have no idea either, and as a Blu-ray completionist, it really bothers me that there are two PTA films missing from my collection. I can make sense of Hard Eight/Sydney, but Punch-Drunk Love? PTA said it would be released. My wishful thinking is that Criterion will license it and release it sometime in 2014, but who knows.

      Delete
    2. Punch-Drunk Love as a Criterion release...nothing would make me happier :)

      Delete
  3. Punch-Drunk Love was released on Oct. 11. 2002; it went into wide release yesterday, but its anniversary was eight days ago. C'mon, Bryan.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I don't understand how Criterion hasn't put out any of PTA's films.

    ReplyDelete